Sunday, August 31, 2008

Sunday Summations

Affirmation:

I choose to view this journey to health not as a diet but as an opportunity to grow in knowledge and trust of God



Sundays are when I look back over the past week and summarize the information I kept in my food journal and analyze and look for patterns and cues that I can work on or ways to create change.

Last week I almost always ate when I was hungry and my hunger lever was well below the ½ way mark. My mood was pretty good all week, I didn’t find myself eating out of emotions.

I have noticed that the difficult days correspond with days I have greater pain than other days. Maybe it is a way of self soothing or a way of distracting myself from the pain. Not sure, but also on the days I have more pain I am less able to work on anything and am in bed or on the couch and watch more TV or read, both of which can be triggers for me.

Exercise was non-existent except for the set given to my by the PT. But last week even those didn’t get done regularly. Too much pain this past week, gave me an excuse not to do them. Even though I do know that not doing them sets me up for stiffness and more pain.

My negative self talk was the “I’m hungry” check, hoping I am hungry enough to justify eating. But my positive self talk was to ask if that was truth, if I was really hungry enough that I NEEDED to eat. Particularly at night, I would ask and or talk myself into seeing if I could wait until morning.

I did struggle a lot with munchies this week. I know that is because I didn’t really plan or stick to a menu and ate kind of haphazardly. Many of my meals were not satisfying, although I was full. It left me with cravings more than hunger. Next week I have planned a menu that should take care of that.
I did find myself less hungry and getting full faster, which meant eating less at meals That is good. I think it will help to remember to use smaller plates to help keep portion sizes at a normal size.

No comments: