Monday, August 22, 2005

Affirmations

Affirmation: I do not eat when I am bored

Affirmations...now these are something I have reisited working with for almost two years. At first I wasn't sure if it just wasn't so much wishful thinking. But as I began to do some research, I discovered that even though they seem new, they have been around for ever. The Bible, particularly Psalms is full of them; my favorite is in Psalms 139:14, "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made". As I have begun to work with them, I have seen that they can be a valuable tool. There is no secret or magical power in them. Picking ones that resonate in your spirit may make it easier to work with. But I am also convinced that using ones that you don't quite believe yet, particularly about yourself, especially if they are grounded in scripture as is the Ps. 139:14 one can be even more powerful and potentially life changeing. Why, well in my experience it is about telling yourself the truth over and over again; eventually you believe it and can use that truth to then begin to make the changes in your life to make it happen. Mabye it is the positive side of a negative self-fulllfilling prophesy. I don't know exactly. But I do know that they can be helpful tools

Last month I worked with the affirmation "I eat when I am hungry; I stop when I am satisfied". Along with that last month my focus was on only eating when I was hungry and stopping when I reached saiety. I said this affirmation numerous times a day. Everytime I reached out to eat I asked myself the question "where am I on the hunger scale?" At first it felt awkward and silly, but as the month wore on, I found that my thinking was changing. By the end of the month I now feel that I am choosing to eat rather than just eating when the thought strikes. When I think I want to eat the question comes automatically and it is getting easier and easier to know if hunger or something else is driving me to food. It has also helped me to believe that this is a truth in my life. This is how most the rest of the world live - eating only when hungry. I have also been able to see what many triggers to eat are as a result of this - because the next obvious question when no is the answer to the hunger question is that I am no hungry is "What is this really about then?" The various answers have given me insight on other affirmations to work with, areas to confront and find other coping tools than food, even ways to see how to change the day to day minutia of the way I live my life to facilitate this journey to recover and health


No comments: