Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Random Musings

I am tired this morning. I woke up starving this morning so ate breakfast at 7 am. Usually I have such a hard time eating that early. My other vitamins came yesterday so I will get back on those. I also ordered some iron (my iron was waaaay low with this last blood screen) and a bottle of glucosamine. I am currious to see if that will help the knees and hips and the pain there. I am hoping that the iron is the reason I have been so fatigued and sleepy these past few months.

I have decided to go ahead and purchase a recumbant bike for home. I know I will exercise more at home than trying to fit time in to go to the Y...and mom says that she will use it too. I think that it will go in what will eventually be my bedroom, after we get all the rearranging finished. I am so anxious to get all the moving and shuffling around done so I can spend some quality time in the studio. A side benefit is that I don't eat or want to eat when I am in the studio working. All I have been able to do lately is the soul cards...which really aren't true soul cards in the way Seena Frost describes them and how to use them in her book Soul Collage. For me, they are a visual record of what is going on in my soul at the time I created them.

I am getting pretty much in the habit of recognizing hunger, eating when I am hungry (level 2-3) and stoping when I am satisfied (level 5-6). It is getting easier and easier to choose to wait until I am hungry, but I still am eating too fast to let my body catch up and recognize saiety. My additional goal this week has been to slow down eating. I am doing that by trying to only eat when I am eating (rather than read, surf the web, watch TV, etc) and eat at the table. I think that I may have to stop eating at my desk at work...I tend to find something in email or on the web to read.

Why do this - eating at the table, not doing anything else while eating? Well double tasking while eating contributes to a lot of things.
  1. Not being in the moment and engaged in eating, tasting, and most important listening to my body
  2. Begins to create the habit of doing something while eating, which that activity then will become a trigger for eating
  3. Contributes to my not paying attention and then I tend to eat faster, which allows me to eat more; not be engaged

Hmmm most of them actually reflect not being engaged in the moment of eating...why do I do that, I wonder? I have reallized that it has not been exactly enjoyable for me to only eat while I am eating...I don't enjoy the process of eating nearly as much. So...what is that telling me about how I use food? Just the fact that I am resisting eating only when I am eating indicates that this is something to work on, to dig beneath.

At any rate I am celebrating that I am beginning to see my hunger/saiety come back into balance and that I am actually able to recognize and respond to them in a normal way.

Jackie

I eat when I am hungry, I stop when I am satisfied

No comments: